Sunday, October 5, 2008

First of October

My mom was able to spend the week here with Jason and us. It was so nice to have her close by and help her out with Jason. He is making so many baby steps, we are all anxiously awaiting that big step...him talking! He has his trache capped off to where he can speak to us. He has been moaning and making noise with his vocal chords. He is swallowing much better. Speaking of swallowing he had a "swallowing test". His speech therapist put blue dye into food such as applesauce, ranch dressing, pecan pie filling, and let Jason eat it! They then suction him to see if there is any blue dye in his lungs. If there is dye, he did not pass, if it is clear, he passed and is swallowing food into his stomach! He passed! So, we all know Jason and food! We figured this would be Jason's motivation. FOOD! Hopefully he will get some more chances this week to try swallowing some more food. The biggest worry is him choking.
My Aunt Gaye decided to laminate two signs that say "yes" and "no". As you all know Jason moves his right side very well, especially his right leg. So, we decided to have Jason communicate with his leg. Sounds crazy but he did it! My mom and Aunt would ask Jason a question and he would kick the "yes" or "no" sign as a response.
We had a lot of visitors this weekend. At least for Jason. My Dad came on Friday, Jason's friend Whitney came, Mike Ward, a family friend came, and then of course my bunch and my Aunt Gaye.
I will be with Jason tomorrow afternoon and will post a note on how that goes. Until then, thanks for your continued prayers and comments. I was thinking I will print out some and read them to him. I can't wait for him to see how many people love and care for him.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I SO ENJOYED BEING WITH JASON 6 DAYS! THE CARE JASON IS GETTING IS SO GOOD. EVERYONE IS SO POSITIVE AND TALKATIVE WITH OUR JAY. JASON HAD A BIG WEEK WITH PASSING HIS SWALLOW TEST! I AM SO GLAD I WAS THERE TO SEE HIM EAT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 31/2 MONTHS. THOSE OF YOU WHO REALLY KNOW JAY-(AND OUR FAMILY) KNOW FOOD WILL BE HIS BIGGEST MOTIVATOR!
COMMUNICATING WITH JASON WAS SO FUN--ALTHOUGH AS HIS MOTHER I FEEL HE AND I HAVE BEEN COMMUNICATING FOR AWHILE NOW.. I CAN READ HIS BEAUTIFUL EYES. I THINK HE AND I HAVE LOOKED AT EACH OTHER SO CLOSE THESE PAST 2 MONTHS AND WE REALLY KNOW EACH OTHERS EYES! HIS ARE BEAUTIFUL.. AGAIN,
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT AND LOVE. WE HAVE BEEN OVERWHELMED AS A FAMILY THE LOVE, SHOWN BY YOU, JASONS FRIENDS AND FAMILY. ITS NOT EASY FOR ANYBODY GOING THROUGH THIS, NOT JAY, NOT HIS FAMILY , NOT HIS FRIENDS, BUT I KNOW WE WILL ALL BE STRONGER AND BETTER PEOPLE FOR HAVING GONE THROUGH THIS WITH JAY. LOVE YOU ALL, HIM MOM, JILL

Anonymous said...

WHAT AN INSPIRING WEEK FOR JASON AND HIS FAMILY. WITH THE POSTING YOU WROTE ON JASON'S BLOG, APRIL, I COULD PICTURE SO WELL WHAT WENT ON THIS WEEK WITH JASON AND ALL. AND AS YOUR MOM, JILL, I AM SO PROUD OF YOUR DEDICATION TO JASON AND HIS PROGRESSING. AND AS YOUR GRANDMA, JASON, LOVE YOU MUCH AND CAN'T WAIT TO LOOK INTO THOSE BEAUTIFUL EYES MYSELF! GRANDMA DIANE AND GRANDPA

Anonymous said...

Dear Leach Family,

I've written a few times before...but I just wanted to say again, thank you so much for keeping everyone informed on what is going on with Jason. I'm sure you all are so busy, and to come home at the end of the day and update this blog means so much to so many people. Especially those like me who live so far away and wouldn't have any other way to find out how Jason is doing. I hope Jason knows how many people are thinking about him and praying for him...even those of us who haven't talked to him for awhile! I guess that's the beauty of coming from such a small town...we've all known Jay since we were little kids and we all love him.

You are a beautiful family!

Thank you.
jillianne donahue

Brenda + Brian Black Beltz said...

I've only been gone for four days and when I read Jay's progress, I smiled. I can't wait to come see Jay.
Love Cousin Brenda

Nan said...

Amazingly Cool...
The Lemmons

Sandy&Jim said...

Hey Jay Bird,
We are hearing such great things about your progress. Congratulations on the Swallow Test. I know your family well and know how important food is to all of you, so we are so glad you are getting a taste of food again.
Jill, your love and dedication is inspiring. You have traveled many miles. Our prayers have been for Jason as well as for you in safe travels. I love Gaye's idea with the YES and NO signs. This is a great way to help with communication. Our love to April and family for being so dedicated to Jason's recovery. God Bless You All, Jim and Sandy Scott

Prattster said...

Dear Jason,
Please know that in your heart of hearts, you are in our prayers everyday. JR remembers the day that you were his guardian angel who watched and protected him until the paramedics arrived at the Pebble Beach Equestrian Center. You are taking baby steps now; next, you will take giant steps. Keep up the good work. You are so fortunate to have such a loving family who surrounds you daily. You are in our prayers today and everyday.
Jan and Mike Pratt
JR Rouse

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures that have been posted. I am living in South Korea temporarily and this blog is such a wonderful way to keep up to date with Jason's recovery. Seeing friends visiting Jason was wonderful. I wish that I could be there in person to act like the clown I know I am. It is nice to know that there are friends and family all around him, and I hope he knows that although many of us are far away physically, he is so near to our hearts and minds. Thanks to all of you, and keep up the good work- that goes for Jay too~! Sending lots of love and hugs xoxoxo
Lauren Moran

kreygirl said...

Hey Dean/Leach family! I was so happy to see that Jay moved into such a beautiful place, and in Fresno!! I feel like I owe you for sharing the process, it has been inspiring. I have been talking with Izzy about it, showing her the pics, and we have been including Jay in our prayers. It has been a great lesson in faith, love, and compassion. Love you, think of you often! Em