Thursday, October 16, 2008

Middle of October

I am sorry for the late posting but doesn't it seem like the time is just flying by lately?!! I just returned from an evening with Jay. Our dear friends Beth and Darin came by to see him. They are both Therapists who work here in town! It was nice to get some advice and second opinions on Jay. Jay has been doing really well. Tonight I felt like he and I were having a conversation minus his voice. He is so close! I feel he is right there, and I know it will just take time and we all have to be patient with him. He really wants to get better. My mom has been asking him yes and no questions which he answers by kicking the signs, "yes" and "no". It seems to work well with Jay since he can't speak yet.
He had an appointment with his neurologist this week. As you can imagine my mom had many questions for him and got some answers and some not. As we have learned with a "TBI" tramatic brain injury, it takes time and everyone's injury is different. Jason is scheduled for an MRI and EEG next week. These tests will give the Dr. and us some more answers on Jason's current and future condition.
Jason has been drinking water for the first time. The nurse will put a little cup filled with water to his mouth and he will drink and swallow it. He is getting better and better with swallowing! I even gave him some tonight after I brushed his teeth...shh don't tell the nurses!! ha ha. I feel like sneaking him a milkshake or something! You know he would love it! We are taking baby steps with the swallowing water because they want to make sure it is being swallowed into his stomach and not his lungs.
I am enjoying the one on one time Jason and I are having together. I really feel he is listening to me and understanding every word. He always was a good listener.
Well, hope this post finds your family healthy and well. I can't believe we are nearing the holiday season. Thanks so much for your comments,
Love April

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I KNOW WHAT APRIL MEANT WITH ONE ON ONE TIME WITH JASON. HE AND I HAD A GREAT AFTERNOON THURSDAY! I FELT WE REALLY CONVERSED WITH THE YES AND NO SIGN FOR ABOUT 45 MINUTES. IT WAS INTERESTING WHAT JASON WANTED TO TALK ABOUT AND WHAT HE DIDN'T. I HUGGED HIM AFTER OUR "TALK SESSION" AND TOLD HIM HOW MUCH I MISSED HIM.. I MISS HIS JUST BEING AROUND AND OUR TALKS-WE ALWAYS FOUND SOMETHING TO CHAT ABOUT-BUT AT LEAST NOW WE CAN COMMUNICATE THROUGH THE YES AND NO SIGN. JASON IS GETTING BETTER AND I TRULY FEEL IS GOING TO BE BACK TO OUR JAY. IT IS GOING TO TAKE TIME AND WORK ON HIS PART-LOTS OF IT -HE SAID HE WAS UP FOR THE HARD WORK. MIKE HAS BEEN SO SUPPORTIVE OF MY GOING TO BE WITH JASON DURING THE WEEK. HE CALLS A LOT WHILE I AM THERE AND JAY LOVES HEARING HIS VOICE. THANKYOU ALL FOR CARING... LOVE, JILL AND MIKE

Anonymous said...

WE ARE SO PROUD OF GRANDDAUGHTER APRIL FOR ALL THAT SHE IS DOING FOR JASON INCLUDING DOING THIS BLOG! WHEN YOU ARE ABLE TO READ THESE COMMENTS, JASON, YOU WILL KNOW HOW MUCH WE ALL HAVE MISSED YOU, BUT HAVE THE PHOTOS ON THIS BLOG AND ELSEWHERE TO REMEMBER YOU WELL EACH AND EVERY DAY!
KEEP UP WITH ALL THAT HARD WORK YOU ARE DOING AS WE LOVE YOU VERY MUCH AND WANT YOU WELL AGAIN! GRANDMA AND GRANDPA HUNTER